The Learning, Earning and Parenting Program (LEAP) is a program designed for parents who are in need of support to complete high school, find employment and enhance their parenting skills.
LEAP Participants agree to participate in all three activities, which include:
- Attending an approved program of education to obtain their OSSD
- Employment programs and workshops
- Parenting programs and workshops
LEAP is mandatory for:
- 16 and 17 year old parents in receipt of Ontario Works
- 16 and 17 year old parents living at home with parents who are receiving Ontario Works
LEAP is strongly encouraged for those who have not completed their Ontario Secondary School Diploma and are:
- 16 – 25 year old parents who are living at home, and Ontario Works assistance is paid on behalf of their dependent child only
- 18 – 25 year old parents in receipt of Ontario Works
- 18 – 25 year old parents who are living at home, and their parents are in receipt of Ontario Works assistance
A range of supports are available to LEAP parents and can include assistance for such things as transportation, school supplies, tutoring and child care as well as having priority access to subsidized child care.
The LEAP program is delivered by the County of Lambton Ontario Works Department. Individual case plans are developed with each parent and their LEAP Caseworker to establish a plan that meets the needs of the parent and helps to ensure they reach their goals.
For more information contact the Ontario Works office at: